Iran suspends some commitments under 2015 nuclear deal: Official
Iran has suspended some of its commitments under a nuclear agreement it signed with six world powers in 2015, upon an order from the country’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC), an informed official in the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says.
According to Press TV, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said on Wednesday that plans about the suspension of some of the country’s commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which had been underlined in the SNSC statement last week, have been implemented.
Iran will seriously pursue plans about the suspension of caps on production of enriched uranium and unlimited production of heavy water at the Arak facility, as stressed during the first 60-day period related to Iran’s first step in response to the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal, the AEOI official added.
On the first anniversary of the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal, Iran announced that it would suspend the implementation of some of its commitments under the deal, announcing that it would stop exporting excess uranium and heavy water, setting a 60-day deadline for the five remaining parties to the deal to take practical measures towards ensuring its interests in the face of the American sanctions.
A senior official of the AEOI said this week that the country has no intention to stop fulfilling its commitments under the JCPOA, but decided to suspend parts of them for six months to give time to Europeans to comply with their obligations and to bring the international agreement back on its right track.
Behrouz Kamalvandi, the spokesman of the AEOI, earlier in an interview had said that the main objective of the JCPOA was the removal of sanctions against Iran in a bid to help the country avail itself of the benefits of the deal; however, the restrictive measures are still in place despite Tehran’s full compliance and the goal has not been realized so far.