• Iran again dismisses reports about Saudi invitation for Hajj

Foreign Ministry has again stressed that the country has not received any invitation from Saudi Arabia for the next year’s Hajj rituals.

“As it was already announced, the Islamic Republic of Iran has not received any invitation yet from the Saudi government for the next year’s Hajj,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Wednesday, Press TV reported.

The Iranian official also dismissed speculations that Tehran plans not to send pilgrims to next year’s Hajj rituals.

“Naturally after receiving the invitation and if conditions are ripe, the issue will be studied by relevant organizations and bodies and the decision will be made,” he added.

He had announced on Monday that Riyadh had sent Hajj invitations to 80 countries but Iran was not among the invitees.

On December 30, 2016, London-based daily al-Hayat reported that Saudi Pilgrimage Minister Mohammed Bentin had opened discussions with more than 80 countries, including Iran, to work out the details of the 2017 Hajj.

The Arab daily also said Riyadh would welcome pilgrims for Hajj “irrespective of their nationalities or sectarian affiliations, including Iranian pilgrims.”

The new head of Iran's Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization dismissed the report.

“Contrary to the report published by some media outlets about the extension of an invitation by Saudi Arabia for Iran’s participation in this year’s Hajj rituals, we have received no invitation,” Hamid Mohammadi told IRIB on Sunday.

He added that grounds will be prepared for the presence of Iranian pilgrims in Hajj if Iran’s conditions regarding the safety of pilgrims are met.

Iran decided not to dispatch its nationals to Hajj last year over concerns about the safety of Iranian pilgrims following a number of deadly incidents.

SS

Jan 04, 2017 14:42 UTC
Comments