• Iranian Government Spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht
    Iranian Government Spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht

Iranian Government Spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht played down US President Donald Trump's remarks that sanctions would zero Iran's oil exports as nonsense, adding that Tehran will remain an OPEC supplier exporting crude at specified quota.

"Zeroing Iran's oil exports is an absurd and useless word which had earlier been responded (by the Iranian officials). We don't want to see any restriction, but our OPEC ceiling (for oil exports)," Nobakht told reporters in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.

He also said that Iran expects the governments which have signed the 2015 nuclear deal, except the US which has retreated, to help the country supply crude after Washington's re-imposition of sanctions.

Asked by reporters about the recent visit by the Leader's top aide for international affairs Ali Akbar Velayati to Russia, Nobakht said during the trip it became more evident that Moscow is committed to its agreements with Tehran and is eager to make huge investments in Iran's infrastructural projects.

Iran had also on Monday said that Trump's bombastic rhetoric presents a dream which may never come true.

"Mr. Trump has talked a lot and has many wishes but certainly, this claim and attempt to stop and zero exports of Iran's oil is bombastic and impossible," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi told reporters in Tehran.

Trump announced on May 8 that Washington would no longer remain part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and promised to re-impose the highest level of economic sanctions against Iran.


EA

Jul 17, 2018 14:57 UTC
Comments