Israel deterred from launching new war on Lebanon: Hezbollah deputy chief
Lebanon’s Hezbollah resistance movement says its high level of defense readiness has so far deterred Zionist regime from launching a new act of aggression against the country, warning that any such war would end in a “guaranteed loss” for the regime.
Naim Qasem, Hezbollah’s Deputy Leader, said in a Thursday interview with al-Akhbar daily “All the indications point to the fact that Zionist regime is deterred. It has not taken a decision to act in a renewed aggressive manner against Lebanon at this stage.”
“Because their position is directly by the border and the enemy fears that the resistance will advance on it, they have constructed a cliff and additional earth berms and put up concrete blocks,” he said.
A string of statements from Israeli officials threatening a potential war promoted Lebanese President Michel Aoun to warn recently that any Israeli attempt to violate his country's sovereignty would be met with an “appropriate response.”
Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett said last month that “life in Lebanon today is not bad” compared to Syria, adding Tel Aviv should target civilians in a future war with the country and send it “back to the Middle Ages.”
Israeli threats forced the Lebanese government to task Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil with preparing a report for the UN Security Council regarding a potential conflict.
Bassil was asked to prepare a “list of Israeli stances in media and a detailed letter to the Security Council to press the international community to uphold its responsibilities in the face of the intentional and public escalation [of the threat] to the region’s stability.”