Cholera death toll rises to 209 in Yemen: UNICEF
The United Nations children's agency (UNICEF) says some 209 people have been killed in recent weeks in a cholera epidemic that threatens the lives of many people in Yemen, which has been under Saudi airstrikes for more than two years.
The UN agency on Wednesday said the rise in cholera-related deaths was "alarming."
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Monday that the cholera outbreak had claimed the lives of 184 people since April 27, with 11,000 suspected cases across the country.
UNICEF's Yemen mission added that some 17,200 suspected cases of cholera had been reported across the impoverished country.
Mohammed al-Asaadi, the agency's Yemen spokesman, said some 3,000 new suspected cases were being reported every day.
UNICEF works alongside the ICRC and the World Health Organization (WHO) to coordinate with health authorities and relief groups in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a.
On Sunday, Yemen's Health Ministry declared a state of emergency in the capital Sana'a in connection with the epidemic.
International organizations, including the United Nations and the Red Cross, say the Saudi-led war on Yemen and an embargo against the country may be responsible for the cholera epidemic. The Saudi aggression has taken a heavy toll on the poor country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories.