Fire caused by short circuit wounds 4 Iranians at hotel in Iraq’s Najaf
At least four Iranian pilgrims have been injured in a fire at a hotel in the holy Iraqi city of Najaf.
The fire, caused by a short circuit, started at Qubtan Hotel in the city on Tuesday morning, said Najaf’s Fire Department.
Iraq’s al-Sumariah television network reported that the hotel, located in Najaf’s Old City quarter, was accommodating just Iranians at the time of the incident.
An official with Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization said four Iranians had suffered burns and smoke inhalation in the blaze.
Najaf’s Fire Department had earlier put the number of those suffering from breathing difficulty at 43.
“All the injured from the Tuesday morning fire were transferred to the city’s hospitals for treatment,” it said.
The city hosts the shrine of the Prophet's son-in-law, Imam Ali (PBUH), and is frequented by thousands of Iranians each year.