Khashoggi's fiancée demands Trumps’ help to clear up circumstances over his disappearance
The fiancée of prominent Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing after visiting the kingdom’s consulate in Turkey’s largest city of Istanbul last week, has asked President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump to "help shed light" on his disappearance.
Hatice Cengiz wrote in the major American daily newspaper The Washington Post that the 59-year-old writer first visited the diplomatic mission on September 28 "despite being somewhat concerned that he could be in danger." He later returned on October 2 after being promised needed paperwork so the two could get married.
“At this time, I implore President Trump and first lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal's disappearance. I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate,” she wrote.
Cengiz added, “Although this incident could potentially fuel a political crisis between the two nations, let us not lose sight of the human aspect of what happened.”
“I've witnessed the work of the Turkish authorities as they monitor the situation closely. I am confident in the abilities of Turkish government officials,” she noted.
Cengiz went on to say that she remained confident that the “great man” is still alive, “although my hope slowly fades away each passing day.”
Turkish opposition urges Saudi diplomats expulsion over Khashoggi disappearance
Meanwhile, Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the leader of Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), has called upon the government to expel Saudi Arabian diplomats in light of Khashoggi’s disappearance.
"Saudi diplomats… should be expelled from the country. They should be declared personae non gratae. Turkey should not cover up for criminals," Kilicdaroglu said.
On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said officials from the Saudi consulate in Istanbul must “prove” that Khashoggi made exit from the mission.
“The Saudi consulate officials in Istanbul can't get away with [simply] saying 'he left the building.’ The claimants are obligated to prove their claims. If he left the building, then you need to prove it,” the Turkish leader said during a joint press conference with Hungarian Prime Minister Victor Orban in Budapest.