Iraq: Hashd al-Sha’abi warns Zionist entity against possible attacks, pledges strong response
Iraq's Hashd al-Sha’abi has warned the illegal Zionist entity against “playing with fire” after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo hinted that Tel Aviv may attack the anti-terror volunteer fighters.
Moein al-Kazemi, a Hashd commander, told the Iraqi Kurdistan's Rudaw television network on Sunday that the force was ready to stage a “strong” response to any aggression.
He said while Israel had yet to make a move, Israeli media were already testing the Iraqi government’s reaction to a possible attack by publishing bogus reports on the issue.
Nonetheless, any act of hostility against Hashd al-Sha'abi could backfire on Tel Aviv as thousands of missiles in southern Lebanon were already aimed at Israeli targets, al-Kazemi warned.
The commander made it clear that Hashd al-Sha’abi was an official military organization funded in part by the Iraqi government and therefore “had the right” to defend the country.
Pompeo, who paid a visit to Baghdad and Iraq’s Kurdistan region earlier this month, was reported to have made it clear to Iraqi officials that Washington would not react to possible Israeli attacks against Hashd fighters.
Last June, Hashd fighters came under attack in Syria’s border town of al-Hari, in the eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, as they were chasing Daesh terrorists out of the area.
Both Syrian government and Hashd al-Sha’abi declared back then that the attack near the Iraqi-Syrian border was deliberate and could have only been carried out by either Israel or the US.