At least 13 people, including women and children, have been killed when a pair of mortar blasts ripped through their house in Afghanistan’s northern province of Faryab, a local official says.

According to Press TV, the deadly incident occurred in Dawolat Abad district on Friday evening, said General Dilawer Shah Dilawer, the Faryab provincial police chief, on Saturday, adding that the blasts also inflicted injuries to at least three other civilians.

However, he said that at the time it was not clear whether the Taliban militant group, which is active in the region, was behind the shelling. The terror outfit has not commented yet on the incident.

Dilawer further said a security team had been dispatched to the site to probe the deadly attack.

In the past few months, the restive Faryab province has witnessed a fresh wave of violence as the government troops are trying to contain the Taliban insurgency in the region.

On Sunday, some 60 people, including women and children, were massacred during an attack on Mirza Olang Village in the northern province of Sar-e Pol. A number of Afghan security forces were also among the dead. Reports say the carnage was carried out by Taliban forces and those of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.

SS

Aug 12, 2017 18:19 UTC
Comments