Biden indicates he may challenge Trump in 2020
Former US Vice President Joe Biden indicates that he may challenge President Donald Trump in 2020, saying he is “not closing the door” on this option.
Biden made the remarks in an interview with NBC News on Monday while promoting his new book, "Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose."
“I honest-to-God haven’t made up my mind about that,” Biden, who is turning 75 later this month, told NBC journalists. “I'm not closing the door. I've been around too long, and I'm a great respecter of fate, but who knows what the situation is going to be a year-and-a-half from now.”
In a separate interview with Oprah Winfrey a day earlier, Biden said, “I’m —thank God right now — in awful good health,” he said. “But I don’t know what things are going to be two years from now.”
Biden is a strong critic of Trump and his leadership style. He has accused his administration of misunderstanding and misrepresenting the American values.
Earlier this month, Biden called Trump a “charlatan,” and accused the Republican head of state of taking advantage of frustrated middle class voters.
It seems Biden is remorseful about his decision not to run in last year’s presidential election, and has claimed that he could have easily defeated Trump.
Biden, a favorite for the 2016 Democratic nomination, announced his decision to not run for the White House in October 2015, cementing former secretary of state Hillary Clinton’s standing as the front-runner.
The popular vice president, who lost his son Beau to cancer in May 2015, said back then that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the battle and that it was too late for him to enter the race.
Trump proceeded to pull off a historic victory against Clinton in November last year.