Oct 15, 2019 19:15 UTC
  • 'One or more governments' behind attack on Iranian oil tanker: FM

Foreign Minister Javad Zarif says the attack on an Iranian oil tanker in the Red Sea on Friday was a “complicated action” in which “one or more governments” were involved.

“According to information received, the attack on the Iranian tanker has been carried out by one or more governments. Of course, investigations are underway, but as long as we have not reached definitive conclusions, we will not accuse any government,” Zarif said, Press TV reported.

The tanker Sabiti owned by the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) was hit in Red Sea waters off Saudi Arabia by two missiles on Friday, leading to a leak which was quickly contained.    

Zarif said Tuesday, “The attack on the Iranian tanker was a sophisticated, state-sponsored action.”

President Hassan Rouhani said the incident had been captured on video, which showed the direction the rockets had been fired from.

Rouhani also said the attack was undoubtedly carried out by a government and that there would be consequences.

On Tuesday, Iranian media published new pictures of the Sabiti, showing two gaping holes in the hull of the damaged tanker.

SS

Tags

Comments