Iran restores restrictions over COVID-19 in 8 provinces
Iran has restored tough restrictions in eight provinces with high rates of infection related to the spread of the COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus pandemic.
According to Press TV, a senior health ministry official said on Wednesday that closures and lockdowns had been introduced for eight provinces across Iran that have been designated as red areas where the spread of COVID-19 has been accelerating in recent days.
“Our policy is to implement protocols and to intensively supervise how those protocols are implemented,” Mohsen Farhadi, a deputy head of the health ministry’s Department for Health at Work and Environment was quoted as saying by Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).
Farhadi said that all government and private sector offices as well as all job groups except those related to immediate needs of the people will close down in red areas.
The government has ordered a week-long holiday in the southern province of Hormozgan where COVID-19 has led to multiple deaths in recent days.
Other provinces on red alert include Razavi Khorasan in east, Khuzestan and Bushehr in south, Kurdistan and Kermanshah in west and East Azerbaijan and West Azarbaijan in northwest of Iran.
Toughening restrictions in those provinces come more than a month after the government eased some of its nationwide lockdown measures to allow economic activity to resume after some three months of closures over the pandemic.
However, daily figures published by the health ministry show the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths have more than tripled compared to last month.