Iran condemns killing of protesters in Lebanon
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh has on Friday condemned the shooting in Lebanon which led to death of multiple peaceful demonstrators, adding that Beirut will leave behind “Israeli-backed sedition”.
“Iran believes that the people, the government, the army and the resistance in Lebanon will successfully overcome sedition backed by the Zionist entity,” he said.
Regarding the tragic events in Lebanon, Khatibzadeh said, “While emphasizing the importance of maintaining stability and peace in Lebanon, the Islamic Republic of Iran closely monitors developments in the county and believes that the people, government and army Along with the Lebanese resistance, with their cohesion and unity, as always, will successfully and proudly overcome the sedition and conspiracies that have their roots in the Zionist regime and are planned and carried out by the masters and agents of this regime.”
Also expressing his condolences to the Lebanese government and people who lost their loved ones in the tragic event, he wished immediate recovery for the people who got injured in the shooting.
The Lebanese government on Friday called for a day of mourning following the armed clashes, in which gunmen used automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades on the streets of the capital.
In scenes reminiscent of the war, local television stations broadcast footage of bullets bouncing off buildings and people running for cover. One of the dead was a woman who was struck by a bullet while in her home, a military source said, adding that all the dead so far were Shiite Muslims.