Dec 29, 2019 08:30 UTC
  • UN envoy urges Europe to blacklist Hezbollah movement after Iraq rocket attack

The US ambassador to Germany has called on European countries to outlaw Hezbollah in its entirety after pointing the finger at the Lebanese resistance movement for a recent rocket attack on an Iraqi military base housing American occupation forces.

According to Press TV, Richard Grenell tweeted on Saturday “Now would be a good time for our European allies to follow the lead of the German parliament and move to designate a terrorist organization."

The call came one day after a "US civilian contractor" was killed and several US and Iraqi military personnel were wounded in a rocket attack on K1 military base in Iraq's northern Kirkuk Province.

A US official told CNN that Washington was reviewing the involvement of Kata'ib Hezbollah in the incident. The faction is part of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces or Hashd al-Sha’abi - an umbrella paramilitary body that has actively cooperated with the national army in sweeping counter-terrorism operations.

"There are a lot of similarities to some of the other 10 rocket attacks in the last two months which we have linked to" Iraqi pro-government forces, the US official claimed, adding, "We are looking into a possible link to Kata'ib Hezbollah in particular."

On Saturday, Israel's Jerusalem Post claimed that the rockets used against US forces in Iraq were of the same type Israel found in 2009 allegedly being shipped to Hezbollah.

The Israeli daily claimed that the photos of the recant attack posted online showed 107mm rockets, the same type of munitions intercepted in 2009 purportedly destined for Hezbollah.

Analysts say the US-Israeli scenario is similar to the one regarding Yemeni air raids on Aramco installations on September 14, which reportedly disrupted about half of the kingdom's oil capacity or 5 percent of the daily global oil supply.

Saudi Arabia and the US blamed the attacks on Iran without providing any evidence.

Earlier this month, UN Chief Antonio Guterres said that the world body’s investigators were “unable to independently corroborate” claims that the Islamic Republic was behind the Aramco raids.

ME

Tags

Comments