Calls for peace insincere as long as Yemen siege persists: Ansarullah
The spokesman for Yemen’s Ansarullah movement says any call for an end to the years-long Saudi-led aggression against the impoverished country is insincere as long as a crippling Saudi blockade against the country persists.
In a tweet on Friday, Mohammed Abdul-Salam said that Yemen does not consider as serious any call for peace that excludes the total removal of the current blockade on the war-torn country.
“We do not consider any call for peace as serious unless it includes the complete lifting of the blockade. However, we have not yet noticed any seriousness to stop the aggression,” he said.
“The calls for peace issued by some international bodies reveal a selective perception of peace by granting it to the countries of aggression and preventing it from Yemen, while peace is either for all or there is no peace,” Abdul-Salam added.
Earlier, UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths had said that a political solution is the only possible way to the persisting conflict in the Arab country, and Abdul-Salam had lambasted him for being, in fact, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition and that he did not resemble an unbiased international official.
All international efforts to end the aggression against the Arab country have so far failed.
Saudi Arabia, backed by the US and its other regional allies, launched the devastating war on Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of Yemen's former president back to power and crushing the popular Ansarullah movement.
Six years into the Yemen war, which has killed hundreds of thousands of people and destroyed much of the country’s infrastructure, Yemeni people are facing malnutrition, hunger, and famine, which have increased risks of disease and starvation.