Israeli regime sounds alarm over possible attacks by two prisoners still at large
Israeli regime officials have expressed alarm that the two Palestinian prisoners, who remain at large after the stunning jailbreak last week, could carry out an attack.
Four of the six Palestinian prisoners who daringly escaped from the high-security Gilboa Prison in northern Occupied Palestine have been apprehended, while the remaining two are on the run.
The two prisoners have been identified as Iham Kamamji and Munadil Nafiyat, both members of the Islamic Jihad resistance group, belonging to the occupied West Bank.
Kamamji was serving a life sentence at the time of escape, while Nafayat had not been charged with a crime other than being a member of the Islamic Jihad resistance group.
The first major Palestinian prison break in 20 years, the escape of Gilboa Prison inmates was hailed as a "heroic" act by the Palestinian resistance movements.
Omar Barlev, a minister in the Israeli regime, said Sunday the probability of the two prisoners carrying out an attack in response to the arrest of their four comrades was “a source of worry”.
“There must always be a concern because people are in a state of despair and their actions are unpredictable,” he was quoted as saying in the Israeli media.
“Even in the case of the four who were captured without weapons, the necessary precautions needed to be taken because even though the threat was low, it was there.”
Israeli regime officials believe the two remaining escapees may have split up, and the manhunt is now focused on the area around the northern Israeli town of Yokne’am and the West Bank city of Jenin.
Berlev said that at least one of them is in the occupied West Bank, without divulging more details.
He said they are “examining the most challenging scenario”, which is that they are in two different locations, meaning the manhunt would have to spread over a wide area.
The minister further said that the four detained prisoners did not know where the other escapees are located.