Israeli regime forces detain scores of Palestinians in overnight West Bank raids
Israeli regime forces have detained scores of Palestinians in overnight raids across the West Bank and al-Quds, as tensions continue in the occupied territories following the escape of six Palestinian prisoners from high-security Gilboa prison last week.
Israeli troops stormed the central West Bank of al-Bireh, located 15 kilometers (9.3 miles) north of al-Quds, and arrested two people after raiding and violently ransacking their homes, Palestinian Safa news agency reported.
Skirmishes broke out between a group of young Palestinians and Israeli soldiers in al-Sina'a neighborhood of al-Bireh as Israeli military vehicles rolled into the area.
Israeli forces also arrested a Palestinian during a raid on his house in al-Salaymeh neighborhood.
Moreover, an Israeli military unit stormed the village of Kafr Ein, located northwest of Ramallah in the central West Bank, and arrested a young Palestinian man amid indiscriminate firing of tear gas canisters and stun grenades.
The youth was reportedly transferred to an Israeli military checkpoint near the small village of Nabi Salih, before being taken to an unknown location.
In the early hours of Tuesday, Israeli forces arrested two teenagers in Ni'lin town.
Clashes also erupted at a junction near the northern West Bank town of Ya'bad, and a young man was struck by live rounds during the commotion.
Elsewhere, scuffles occurred between a group of Palestinians and Israeli troops at the al-Jalama checkpoint in the city of Jenin.
Israeli forces arrested eight Palestinians in the city of al-Khalil, and another in the town of Bethlehem south of al-Quds.
Many Palestinians were detained in other parts of the West Bank, including Beit ar-Rush al-Fauqa village and the towns of Sa'ir and Jannatah.
Over 1,300 inmates to go on hunger strike
Meanwhile, the Commission for Prisoners Affairs at the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) said 1,380 Palestinian prisoners will begin an open-ended hunger strike on Friday, in protest at escalating Israeli violence against them.
The commission said in a statement on Monday that serious abuses of the inmates come not only as a result of decisions by Israeli prison officials but also at the order of regime authorities, especially after the recent escape from Gilboa prison.
The statement said a total of 400 Palestinian prisoners will go on hunger strike in Ramon prison. They will be joined by another 300, 200 and 100 inmates in Ofer, Nafha and Megiddo detention centers respectively. Others will join the strike from Gilboa, Eshel, Shatta and Hadarim jails.
The commission went on to note that more Palestinian prisoners will participate in the strike on September 21, among them 100 senior detained political leaders, including Marwan Barghouti and Karim Younis.
The Palestinian detainees are reportedly demanding the Israeli regime to end its violations against them, stop solitary confinement, and scrap the administrative detention policy to arrest and hold Palestinians without charges.
They are also demanding the resumption of family visits, installation of public phones, and the re-entry of fruits, vegetables, and meat into prisons.
The commission appealed to international human rights groups to intervene, and force Israel to stop its serious violations against Palestinian detainees, including torture, solitary confinement, administrative detention, and physical assaults by prison guards.