Illegal Zionist settlers step up provocative actions in al-Aqsa Mosque compound
Thousands of illegal Zionist settlers have provocatively entered the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied al-Quds in a time span of one week under protection from the regime’s forces, as they marked a seven-day Jewish holiday.
According to Press TV, media reports said on Wednesday that the illegal settlers raised the Zionist regime flags and marched through the Moroccan Gate on the western side of the holy compound, which has been under Israeli regime control since the beginning of the occupation of al-Quds and the West Bank in 1967.
Large numbers of illegal settlers had already broken into the mosque compound. Witnesses said many illegal settlers were flanked by the Zionist troops, and sometimes accompanied by ministers, Knesset members and senior officials.
Regime authorities barred Palestinians from entering the site during the Zionist settlers’ tour.
A group of Palestinians reached al-Aqsa before the dawn prayer on Tuesday and staged a sit-in protest. Several Palestinian worshippers have since then remained and stayed at the holy compound to confront what is seen as incursions by the settlers.
In May, frequent acts of violence against Palestinian worshipers at the al-Aqsa Mosque led to an 11-day war between Palestinian resistance groups in the besieged Gaza Strip and the Zionist regime, during which the regime killed at least 260 Palestinians, including 66 children.
Following the recent visitation, Islamic Waqf, which manages the holy compound, has described the illegal Zionist settlers’ tours to the Muslim holy site as provocative.
The organization says Israeli regime has turned the site into “a military barracks” during the settlers’ actions.