Arab League blasts Israel over plans to build 1,300 new illegal settler units
The Arab League has condemned in the strongest terms Israel’s declaration that it will build more than 1,300 new settler units in the occupied West Bank.
According to Press TV, in a statement released on Monday, the 22-nation Arab bloc said the construction plan is part of the continuous and escalating Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people.
The statement came a day after the Israeli Housing Ministry said that tenders had been published to build 1,355 new housing units in seven different West Bank settlements.
The Ministry further noted that the new units would be added to over 2,000 units that reports said in August would be authorized for Israeli settlers in the West Bank.
The Arab League said the Tel Aviv regime’s settlement construction activities are meant to Judaize the Occupied Palestinian Territories, including al-Quds, in order to end any hope or possibility for the so-called two-state solution, which “expresses the choice and will of the international community and embodies the resolutions of international legitimacy.”
All Israeli settlements established in the Occupied Palestinian Territories are illegal under international law and relevant United Nations resolutions, especially Security Council Resolution 2334 approved on December 23, 2016, it added.
The pan-Arab bloc also urged the international community and concerned countries to assume their legal and moral responsibilities and denounce the Israeli crime of constructing new Israeli settlements with all the threats it poses to peace and stability.
The Arab League further called for international protection to the Palestinian people, land, and holy sites with the aim of ending the occupation and enabling the nation to exercise its right to self-determination and independence as the only path to achieve security, stability, and the desired peace in the region.