Zionist entity extends detention of chronically-ill Palestinian teen for four more months
The illegal Zionist entity has extended for four more months the detention without charge or trial of a chronically-ill Palestinian teenager already held for a year, as the Tel Aviv regime is pressing ahead with its policy of administrative detention to keep Palestinians behind bars.
“The occupation tribunal renewed my son's administrative detention for the fourth time despite his illness,” the father of 17-year-old Amal Nakhleh told AFP news agency on Thursday.
Moammar Nakhleh, who is a journalist, added that his son will remain in detention until May 18, under the new order.
Israeli forces first arrested the Palestinian teenager in the occupied West Bank back in November 2020.
His family said Amal was out with friends at the time after he had undergone surgery to remove a cancerous mass. The teen suffers from myasthenia gravis – a rare neuromuscular disease.
Nakhleh was accused of throwing stones at Israeli soldiers, and was held for 40 days. He was then set free by an Israeli judge.
In January last year, the ill Palestinian teen was re-arrested and placed in administrative detention, which has now been renewed again.
The UN agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA has demanded the immediate release of Amal Nakhleh from administrative detention on urgent humanitarian grounds, and stated it is highly concerned about the ongoing arbitrary detention of the minor.
Neither Amal nor his family are aware of the charges against him and have been informed by the Israeli authorities that it is a “confidential administrative case.”
His legal team stated that this is one of the most prolonged cases of administrative attention of a child that they have come across.
Amal’s severe autoimmune disease requires continuous medical treatment and monitoring. Due to his health conditions, he cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19 and must take immune-suppressants, meaning that his life is at high risk if he contracts coronavirus.