Jan 25, 2022 19:34 UTC
  •  Death toll from Saudi airstrike on Yemen prison rises to 91

The Yemeni health minister says the death toll from a Saudi airstrike on a prison in the northern city of Sa’ada has now risen to 91.

Speaking to the al-Masirah television on Tuesday, Taha al-Mutawakel said that 91 people had been confirmed dead and 236 hospitalized by the end of rescue operations.

Yemeni officials have called for an international investigation into the airstrike, which took place on Friday. The overnight attack created horrific scenes, with bombed-out buildings littered with bodies and hospitals overwhelmed.

The air raid drew widespread condemnation, including from the UN, which also called for a transparent investigation.

According to Yemeni officials, since the beginning of January, attacks by the Saudi-led coalition waging war on Yemen have claimed the lives of at least 150 people.

SS

Tags