Nuclear talks between North Korea, US break down in Stockholm
North Korea's chief negotiator says working-level nuclear talks with the United States being held in Stockholm after months of stalemate have broken down, blaming the administration of US President Donald Trump for the failure.
Kim Myong Gil made the remarks during a press briefing outside his country's embassy in the Swedish capital on Saturday.
“The negotiations have not fulfilled our expectations and finally broke up... without any outcome. (It) is totally due to the fact that the US would not give up their old... attitude," Kim said.
The representatives of North Korea arrived in Sweden on Thursday after Pyongyang unexpectedly announced this week that talks would kick off on October 5.
The high-ranking delegations led by US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun and Kim arrived for a joint meeting on the island of Lidingo on the outskirts of Stockholm earlier on Saturday.
In a tweet, Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde on Saturday confirmed negotiators from the US and North Korea were meeting in the country to discuss the peaceful solution.
"I am encouraged that US and (North Korean) working level delegations are currently in Sweden to hold talks," Linde said, adding, "Dialogue needed to reach denuclearize and peaceful solution."
The meeting was the first formal working-level talks since the US president and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met at the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) on the Korean Peninsula in June and agreed to restart negotiations that stalled after a failed summit in Vietnam in February.
The announcement of the resumption of talks came after Pyongyang on Wednesday test-fired a new ballistic missile designed for submarine launch.