Sudanese government, rebels sign ceasefire deal to let in humanitarian relief
Sudan’s government and armed rebel groups have signed a ceasefire agreement to allow humanitarian relief into the war-torn parts of the African country.
The peace deal between senior Sudanese government officials and the rebel coalition of the so-called Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF) — which represents fighters in areas including Darfur, Blue Nile, and South Kordofan — was signed in South Sudan’s capital of Juba on Monday.
The signing ceremony was also attended by the representatives of the United Nations (UN), the European Union (EU) and the African Union.
Sponsored by South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir, the agreement includes a ceasefire on all fronts of the war zones in Sudan and would let aid into those areas of the country that were cut off from humanitarian groups during former president Omar al-Bashir’s rule.
Sudan’s new transitional authorities, tasked with leading the way to civilian rule, also promised to bring peace to the conflict zones.
Addressing the ceremony at the presidential palace in Juba, General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, a key figure in Sudan’s transitional government, said the agreement opened a new chapter in Sudan’s history.
“We hereby confirm our commitment to making peace in Sudan and to lifting the suffering of the IDPs (internally displaced persons), refugees, and the victims of the war and to putting an end to the injustice in Sudan and to achieving the slogans of our great revolution, which are freedom, peace, and justice,” Daglo said.
He said the breakthrough had been achieved within seven days, while the former government had been negotiating with the armed groups for seven years but failed to make any progress.
Daglo also commended Kiir’s efforts for sponsoring Sudan’s peace talks.