Taliban offer temporary ceasefire to US in Afghanistan
The Taliban have offered a brief ceasefire to the United States, a move which could lead to the resumption of talks between the two sides and withdrawal of thousands of American terrorist troops from Afghanistan.
According to Press TV, the ceasefire offer was reportedly handed to Zalmay Khalilzad, Washington’s envoy for talks with the militants, late Wednesday in Qatar, a Persian Gulf Arab country where the Taliban maintain a political office.
Taliban officials familiar with the negotiations on Thursday confirmed that the offer was made to US negotiators in Doha.
"It is an offer for a ceasefire either for seven or 10 days," media outlets quoted an unnamed source as saying.
"It has been finalized and given to the Americans. It is going to pave the way for an agreement," the source added.
A second militant source, based in Pakistan, also said the offer had been handed to the US.
This came hours after Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said the Taliban had shown "a willingness" to reduce its attacks.
"Today, positive progress has been made, the Taliban have shown their willingness to reduce the violence, which was a demand... it's a step towards the peace agreement," said Qureshi in a video statement.
Islamabad has helped facilitate the talks between the Afghan Taliban and Washington in Qatar.
The Taliban and the US had been negotiating the deal for a year, and were on the brink of an announcement in September 2019 when President Donald Trump abruptly declared the process "dead".
Washington has for weeks been calling on the militants to reduce attacks on US forces, posing it as a condition for resuming formal negotiations on an agreement that would see US troops begin to leave the country after a near two-decade war.