Deadly attack hits Afghanistan's Khost amid faltering 'peace' talks
A car bomb attack has killed at least seven people and wounded 33, including police forces and civilians, in Afghanistan’s eastern Khost Province, as a new UN report says the ongoing 'peace' talks have failed to slow the civilian casualty toll.
According to reports, the car bombing targeted a police special forces compound in the city of Khost, near the border with Pakistan, on Tuesday morning.
Gunmen then entered the building and engaged security officers in gun battles, according to local authorities.
“The security forces destroyed another car bomb before it reached its target,” Provincial Police Chief Daoud Tarakhel said, adding that “several security forces have been wounded in the attack.”
He said that the attackers had been confined to one building and that other parts of the police special unit compound had been cleared of the assailants.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian announced that at least four assailants had been killed during the clashes and that efforts were underway to neutralize the remaining militants.
“This morning, terrorists blew up a vehicle loaded with explosives near a special police unit in the area of the former governor office of Khost Province. Four terrorists were killed and efforts are underway to eliminate the other two terrorists,” the Afghan Interior Ministry said in a statement.
“In this incident, 16 soldiers and nine civilians were injured, and two people were martyred,” it said.
Khost Civil Hospital’s chief physician Sakhi Sardar said that the medical center had received 32 wounded soldiers and civilians — including women and children — as well as the bodies of three people.