Nine Afghan forces killed in Taliban attacks: Officials
Taliban militants have attacked two police checkpoints in the restive province of Kunduz in northern Afghanistan, killing at least nine Afghan security personnel, local officials say.
Kunduz Governor Abdul Sattar Mirzakwal told AFP on Friday that the Taliban launched the attacks against the checkpoints simultaneously overnight.
Kunduz has seen regular clashes between the militants and government forces. The province has briefly fallen to the militants twice in recent years.
Kunduz provincial council member Khaluddin Hakimi put the death toll from the latest attacks at 10, adding that 10 security personnel had also been injured.
The attacks come even as the Afghan government and the Taliban militant group have been holding direct talks to end fighting since September last year.
The two sides reached a preliminary deal last month that sets out rules for further talks, the first written agreement between them since the US-led invasion of 2001.
Earlier this week, sources from the government negotiating team said the intra-Afghan peace negotiations, which are being held in Doha, Qatar’s capital, had had no progress recently and the two sides had not yet agreed on a unified agenda for further talks.