North Korea accuses US of applying double standards over ballistic missile test
North Korea says the United States applies "double standards" in its approach to Pyongyang's weapons program and has overreacted to its recent missile test by calling for an emergency gathering of the United Nations Security Council.
An unnamed spokesperson at North Korea's Foreign Ministry made the remarks in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Thursday, two days after Pyongyang successfully test-fired a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM).
The spokesman said the latest test had been carried out "purely for the defense of the country," stressing that it was not aimed at the United States or any other country.
"So there is no need for the US to worry or trouble itself over the test-firing," the spokesperson said, adding that Washington's criticism of the North for "developing and test-firing the same weapon system as the one the US possesses or is developing is a clear expression of double standards."
"It only excites our suspicion" about the sincerity of Washington's claim that it has no hostile intent toward the country, the spokesperson added.
The official further accused Washington of taking "provocative moves" by urgently calling for a gathering of the UNSC, warning that any wrong behavior by the United States and the Council could lead to "more serious consequences."
Pyongyang carried out the ballistic missile test on Tuesday. The UN Security Council held the emergency closed-door meeting at the request of the US and Britain on Wednesday afternoon.
Speaking to the media ahead of the meeting, the ambassadors of Western states all condemned the missile launch as a new "provocation," saying they would call for the existing international sanctions to be more effectively implemented.