Apr 19, 2016 15:49 UTC
  • Nagorno-Karabakh says fighter killed by Azeri gunfire

A Nagorno-Karabakh fighter has been killed in the disputed region, its self-proclaimed defense ministry says.

Gunfire directed toward fighters in the landlocked Nagorno-Karabakh region from Azerbaijani forces on Tuesday morning killed the fighter.

At least 110 people died in days of clashes between forces supported by Azerbaijan and Armenia earlier this month amid tensions over the disputed territory.

A shaky Moscow-brokered ceasefire kicked off on April 5 and stopped the huge fighting but the two sides still continue to accuse one another of violating the truce.

The new wave of unrest in Karabakh and surrounding areas in Azerbaijan have sparked concern about resumption of hostilities in the strategic region, which has been relatively calm since the end of a three-year war in 1994.

Fears are also high that the war could trigger a broader conflict in the Caucasus region between Russia and Turkey.

A fortnight ago, Russia’s foreign minister urged Turkey to stop what he called meddling in the internal affairs of other countries.

Sergei Lavrov said Ankara was “one-sided” in supporting its ally Baku in the old territorial dispute.

SS

Tags